Once a person enrolls in Medicare then by default, he or she gets two choices one is to opt for Original Medicare Parts A and B along with prescription drug part D (and sometimes Medigap) and the other option is to choose Part C known more commonly as Part C. Therefore, the question arises that which one to choose among Medicare Supplement vs. Medicare.
It is essential to take the two types (Original health insurance and health insurance benefit) into account while making comparison. The medical security Supplement has a lot types such as HMO and PPO, and these types are bound to provide same benefits, which are offered in Original medical security.
Need for Medigap
The need for Medigap is felt when some person wants to cover his or her Original Medicare’s Part A and B costs. However, you should always remember that you cannot have both the Medicare Advantage and Medicare supplement plans in 2019 at the same time.
The costs, premiums, out-of-pocket costs, etc. everything differs between these plans. Following are some of the major differences between default Medicare and Medicare Supplement.
- In Original health insurance, you have to pay the Part B premiums, deductibles, and coinsurances. However, in HMO (health insurance Supplement) or PPO plans one has to pay Medicare premiums and plan premiums along with the plan’s own copays and deductibles.
- Original health insurance allows you to visit any doctor or hospital facility whereas Medicare Supplement HMO plans bounds you to visit only in-network service providers. However, PPO plans allow to visit out-of-network service providers but at higher costs.
- Both Original health insurance and health insurance Supplement allows its members to visit any of emergency care in whole country.
- In Original health insurance you can avail drug coverage via Part D plan, but in health insurance Supplement, you have to plan which comes with drug coverage (known as MA-PD).
- There is no maximum limit on out-of-pocket costs in Original medical security, but in medical security Supplement, there is in every plan.
- In Original medical security you do not need a referral to see a specialist, but in Supplement HMO plan there is need of referral to see a specialist. However, PPO plan does not require you to have a referral, but in turn; it charges higher payments for seeing a specialist.
Therefore, you can take all of facts mentioned above into account and then can make a clear and strong decision regarding health insurance.